Monday, October 18, 2010

1 of 5

Ok so...I've been terrible at cooking! It always seems easier to just go pick something up. I know it's horrible from a health standpoint, so I really want to change that...besides I do want to cook for my family. Yesterday I picked a few recipes online and went to the grocery store to buy all of the ingredients. 

Monday Dinner Menu:
Baked Potato Soup
Turkey croissant sandwiches 

Recipe:

Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients
·         3 bacon strips, diced
·         1 small onion, chopped
·         1 clove garlic, minced
·         3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
·         1 teaspoon salt
·         1 teaspoon dried basil
·         1/2 teaspoon pepper
·         3 cups chicken broth
·         2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
·         1 cup half-and-half cream
·         1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
·         Shredded Cheddar cheese
·         Minced fresh parsley
Directions
1.     In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Set bacon aside. Saute onion and garlic in the drippings until tender. Stir in flour, salt, basil and pepper; mix well. Gradually add broth. Bring to boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes, cream and hot pepper sauce; heat through but do not boil. Garnish with bacon, cheese and parsley.

The soup was delicious, but it did take a while to make...I'll definitely try it again when the weather is cooler and we can pour a huge bowl and cuddle with Jonas on the couch! I did change it up a tiny bit...I boiled the potatoes instead of baking them...and I also kept the skin on. One thing I will change next time is not adding so much pepper...it was a bit much for my taste.  As for the sandwich...I just put it together.

Toasted croissant
Mayo
Turkey
Swiss cheese
Sliced tomatoes 
Lettuce
 Jonas and Ryan loved it...so I'll say it was a winner!


Before 
After
Boiling potatoes 
The mixture right before the half and half was added
Done
Toasting the croissants 
Done!
Done!
Jonas's bowl
  

0 comments:

Post a Comment